newbie has problems w/ dialup

Mark Zyniecki mzyniecki at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 13:45:26 MST 2008

The problem was first identified when doing a weekly download of a
50Mb file. WinXP downloads take about 3 hrs. and openSUSE11 is listed
as taking 18 hrs. after the first 1/2 hour. (I haven't taken the time
to complete it.) Firefox was used in both for compatibility of
results, and IPv6 was disabled during install of SUSE.

Below is info. from McAfee Internet Connection Speedometer:

WinXP RESULTS (Connected @ 50.6 Kbps):
File Size: 150.005 Kb
Time Elapsed: 25.172 Seconds
McAfee Reports Approximately 40 Kbps

openSUSE11 RESULTS (Connected @ 52.0 Kbps):
File  Size: 150.005 Kb
Time Elapsed: 170.927 Seconds
McAfee Reports Under 20 Kbps

File Size/Time Elapsed
WinXP = 5.96 Kbps
openSUSE11 = 0.88 Kbps

NEW INFO:
I used YaST to look at the configuration of the modem. The baud rate
of the Actiontec modem is listed as 4000000. Several times I selected
57600 for the baud rate, and each time I returned to look at the
configuration, the baud was back to 4000000.

Also, there is an AC '97 modem controller listed under modems, but is
listed as "unconfigured."