newbie has problems w/ dialup

Mark Zyniecki mzyniecki at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 08:32:49 MST 2008

This was started on the applications list, and it was suggested to
move it here. I've recently added openSUSE11 to my WinXP box. There's
a big difference between the two in dialup download speeds.

WinXP downloads at 3-5 Kbps w/ a max. around 7 Kbps. This has been
standard for me, given my rural area, since 56Kbps modems came out.
SUSE downloads at 1.4-1.5 Kbps w/ a max. around 2 Kbps.
The modem is a USB/serial Actiontec EX560LKU.

It was suggested that the problem could be that the modem is using
USB1 instead of USB2, but I'm not sure that would be a problem given
the low download rates. Also, according to the ISP, the only
compression on the connection would be that initiated from my end.