dvd writer not found

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 09:40:55 MST 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Jerry Davis <jdawgaz at cox.net> wrote:
> blank disc put in.
> /usr/bin/cdrecord is symlinked to wodim
> it was not suid'd (as root), so I did that, and
> ran the command you suggested,
> here is the output, all looks fine to me, so I will try to write.
>
> jerry at frodo:~$ cdrecord -prcap dev=/dev/scd0
> Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
> Version        : 5
> Response Format: 2
> Capabilities   :
> Vendor_info    : 'HL-DT-ST'
> Identification : 'DVDRAM GSA-T50L '
> Revision       : 'SR04'
> Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
>
> Drive capabilities, per MMC-3 page 2A:
>
>  Does read CD-R media
>  Does write CD-R media
>  Does read CD-RW media
>  Does write CD-RW media
>  Does read DVD-ROM media
>  Does read DVD-R media
>  Does write DVD-R media
>  Does read DVD-RAM media
>  Does write DVD-RAM media
>  Does support test writing
>
>  Does read Mode 2 Form 1 blocks
>  Does read Mode 2 Form 2 blocks
>  Does read digital audio blocks
>  Does restart non-streamed digital audio reads accurately
>  Does support Buffer-Underrun-Free recording
>  Does read multi-session CDs
>  Does read fixed-packet CD media using Method 2
>  Does not read CD bar code
>  Does not read R-W subcode information
>  Does read raw P-W subcode data from lead in
>  Does return CD media catalog number
>  Does return CD ISRC information
>  Does support C2 error pointers
>  Does not deliver composite A/V data
>
>  Does play audio CDs
>  Number of volume control levels: 256
>  Does support individual volume control setting for each channel
>  Does support independent mute setting for each channel
>  Does not support digital output on port 1
>  Does not support digital output on port 2

>  Does support ejection of CD via START/STOP command
>  Does not lock media on power up via prevent jumper
>  Does allow media to be locked in the drive via PREVENT/ALLOW command
>  Is not currently in a media-locked state
>  Does not support changing side of disk
>  Does not have load-empty-slot-in-changer feature
>  Does not support Individual Disk Present feature
>
>  Maximum read  speed: 11080 kB/s (CD  62x, DVD  8x)
>  Current read  speed: 11080 kB/s (CD  62x, DVD  8x)
>  Maximum write speed: 11080 kB/s (CD  62x, DVD  8x)
>  Current write speed: 11080 kB/s (CD  62x, DVD  8x)
>  Rotational control selected: CLV/PCAV
>  Buffer size in KB: 2048
>  Copy management revision supported: 1
>  Number of supported write speeds: 2
>  Write speed # 0: 11080 kB/s CLV/PCAV (CD  62x, DVD  8x)
>  Write speed # 1:  5540 kB/s CLV/PCAV (CD  31x, DVD  4x)
>
> Supported CD-RW media types according to MMC-4 feature 0x37:
>  Does write multi speed       CD-RW media
>  Does write high  speed       CD-RW media
>  Does write ultra high speed  CD-RW media
>  Does write ultra high speed+ CD-RW media
>
> NOW  I will try to do a write to the DVD

> [...]

Interesting that the report makes no mention whatever of DVD+R which
seems odd for a new machine.  So I checked one of my machines and it
reports the same although I know it DOES write DVD+R.  In fact, if I
look at the "Places" menu, the device is should as a CD-RW, DVD+-RW (I
did not know how to put in the symbol with + over the minus).

BTW, I assume your problem is fixed since it has been a day.

--
Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps, for he is the only
animal that is struck with the difference between what things are and