OT: First dibs on X61 Notebooks

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Fri Dec 12 19:22:26 MST 2008

I figured I'd miss something. ;)

lspci says "Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics
Controller", or numerically:
00:02.0 0300: 8086:2a02 (rev 0c) (prog-if 00 [VGA Controller])
         Subsystem: 17aa:20b5
00:02.1 0380: 8086:2a03 (rev 0c)
         Subsystem: 17aa:20b5

Vista reports it as "Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family", and
Vista offers to run the external monitor as a mirror or extension of the
notebook monitor, or just the external monitor (when the notebook and a
monitor are connected to the base).

I wouldn't know how to test the dual-display functionality in Ubuntu. It
appears to default to a mirrored setup by default. 1280x1024 looks like
the max resolution when on the mobile media base. It's sorta weird
though, as the 'area' on the external monitor is larger (as is higher
resolution) than the notebook monitor. I wouldn't have expected that,
but I haven't done anything with multi-monitor configurations before. I
can't tell what Ubuntu would offer for resolutions off the base, because
the DVD/CD drive is in the base. Note, the windows 'special effects' (I
forget what they're called) appear to be working.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

-Eric 'shubes'