OT: First dibs on X61 Notebooks

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Fri Dec 12 13:01:11 MST 2008

If you're looking for a nice little notebook that can double as a beefed
up desktop, read on. Otherwise, please pardon the noise.

I've come across a couple (2) Lenovo (IBM) Thinkpad X61 notebooks for
sale that I'm giving the list first dibs on. They have Vista Ultimate
preloaded on them, but other than that I think they're great. They came
from a business that failed with the recent banking fiasco, so I know
they're not 'hot' (but the deal is smokin'!). They were new/built in
March'08, so they should still have at least a few months left on the
manufaturer's warranty. I can't verify the warranty online (the web site
says not found), so I'm guessing that they were never registered and you
might get a full year warranty by registering. Not sure on the warranty
though.

I've checked them out, and they're like new. Very gently used if much at
all. I've run Ubuntu Desktop 8.04 LTS on them, and everything appears to
work as is. The wireless didn't show up initially, but after I ran
updates it showed up and saw some APs in the area (I didn't try to
connect to any however).

Here's a link to a review of the X61 in general:
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3765,
and here are the specs on these specific units:
Thinkpad X61 7675-K2U
Intel 2.4GH T8300 Core2 Duo (3M L2 cache)
2G RAM
160G 7200RPM HDD
12.1" 1024x768 Display
Intel Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 chipset
Intel 82566MM Gigabit Ethernet
Intel PRO/Wireless 4965 AGN Network
USB, Firewire, Bluetooth
Fingerprint scanner
8 Cell High Capacity Battery (twice the life)
Mobile Media Base w/ DVD Multi Recorder CD-RW

These units would retail from Lenovo for $2300+, although you might pay
closer to $1800 if you find a 'deal'.

But wait, there's more. ;)
To complete your desktop setup, you'll also get, each new-in-the-box:
Lenovo L190xC 19" flat panel monitor
Lenovo 73P2620 USB Enhanced Performance keyboard
Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse USB/PS2.

The first buyer to take delivery will also get a very nice Targus travel
case (gently used), although these little units travel nicely in smaller
bags as well.

All this for only $1075, which is $50 less than I plan to list them for
on Craig's list (if you don't grab them soon). Now I know that you can
find notebooks for less, but they're skimpy and cheap. We're talking
Lenovo here, and loaded with upgrades. Industrial grade, for little more
than you'd pay for a cheap (as in quality) one.

As is customary, first come first served. And please reply off list. ;)

P.S. Although they've been re-loaded with Vista Ultimate, they can be
re-loaded with XP Professional if desired. I don't think that'll really
matter to you folks though. ;)

--
-Eric 'shubes'