OT: Linux - Stop holding our kids back

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Wed Dec 10 12:22:03 MST 2008

On Dec 10, 2008, at 11:16 AM, Joshua Zeidner wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 10:47 AM, Mike Hoy <mhoy06 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Personally I believe that this blog is false.  I think it was made
>>> up just to spark a FOSS/MS debate, just like this one we're having
>>> now!  :)   Just smells a little fishy to me...
>>
>> I was thinking the exact same thing.
>
>  Same here... the story seems very fabricated.

Could be.  But the "believe me because you're dumber than me" attitude
that the blogger takes toward this teacher (fictional or no) is quite
real, and a problem that many of us suffer from.

I think it's a barrier to spreading free software when its advocates
are poor at making a point non-technical people will understand and
relate to.  That was the point of my initial comment, and I think
valid regardless of the underlying facts of this particular story.
Don't tell people why they're wrong/misguided/stupid.  It only turns
people off.  Focus on what's good about what you're doing, not what's
bad about what they're doing.

alex