OT: Linux - Stop holding our kids back

Judd Pickell pickell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 08:41:50 MST 2008

I agree, the poster was a bit more negative than positive in regards to
getting his point across. However there were two comments in his thread that
would be wonderful for him to take to the Superintendent's office during the
conference. Once was the information from the Finland school district that
was able to increase their computer to student ratio with only a minimal
investment of 42k (Euros for them) reusing old hardware and even expanding
the setup to the other local community schools as well. That is just
awesome. The second one would be the guy that apparently worked "the other
side", and he was right about correcting the poster's judgments of the NEA.

I do have to wonder how many of us Linux gurus work for the school systems?
How many of us are in positions where we could affect the change, or even
prove the change would work? How many of us would take a cut in pay to go do
that job? It really is a difficult situation, and I don't forsee any changes
coming soon unless there is a sudden change in graduates from CS schools
being mostly linux, and not mostly windows founded.

In a country in which children's information is held (or is supposed to be
held) so secretive, can we really trust a fully FOSS setup, or would it make
more sense to have a small set of subprograms that handled such sensitive
data not be FOSS?

Anyways, great material for discussion, and definitley not OT.

Sincerely,
Judd Pickell