OT:TrueCrypt

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Mon Dec 8 14:59:48 MST 2008

From: Alex Dean <alex at crackpot.org>
> I used TrueCrypt to do full-disk encryption on an 80GB external USB
> hard drive on a ThinkPad T40 (1.4 GHz Pentium M) running Xubuntu
> 8.04.  Any time I had the disk attached, it pegged my CPU and was
> nearly unusable.  I gave up at that point, though there may have been
> more tweaking I could do to get it running better.

Hm.  I'd have to go take a look at my old truecrypt setup, but that
sounds really suboptimal.  The truecrypt setup I described earlier was
pretty simple, and its loopback file was FAT32, but it never pegged the
CPU or even made the CPU fan turn on.  I think the encryption method
you use makes some difference too.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows