OT wireless question

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Fri Dec 5 17:10:14 MST 2008

Craig,

You should not get any ping loss (other than control C from stopping a ping [which you removed from the equation with the -200 switch]) with a connection via wireless.

1) Have you verified that the source of your ping or network does not have CRC errors or layer 1 (cable or interface) issues?

ethtool eth0 <on the target>
ifconfig eth0 <on the target>

2) Wireless Connection Issues

a)
Perform a site survey and see what other AP's are around you.
Note the
channel they are using.
Some networks do not broadcast a SSID so you
may have to use a program like NetStumbler to see those networks around
you that do not broadcast a SSID.

b) Make sure you do not have 2 wireless AP close to each other.  I.E.  2 wireless routers sitting on your desk.

After
you have done a site survey look to see what channel your AP is using
and the ones around you, change channels to one that isn't being used.

Some wireless routers also allow you to increase tX power.

It may also be your wireless/router/modem.  I have seen some $manufacturered units wireless function horrendously as "normal" with ping loss with none the wiser.

3) If you are getting packet loss on ping, updating your Wireless drivers or firmware might indicated (access point).

Also, look at more detailed information for normatives [google your wireless modem equipment names].

4) Check out broadband reports before calling your wireless broken.  There are generally tradeoffs in speed with wireless connections, that can equate is QoS or packet loss issues (that are acceptable in one router or net card, because performance is so fine).

http://www.dslreports.com/

www.Obnosis.com |  http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Citations:obnosis |
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=obnosis (503)754-4452
Catch the January PLUG HackFest!   Kristy Westphal, CSO for the Arizona Department of Economic
Security will provide a one hour
presentation on forensics 1/10/09 at UAT.edu.