need laptop advice

jdawg jdawgaz at cox.net
Fri Dec 5 14:50:57 MST 2008

I am in the market for a reasonable laptop. I went to some local places,
and I think I can get more laptop for the money online.

Background:

After about 10 years, I will be forced to do a dual boot situation
instead of scrapping windows and just install linux.
Linux will be my main OS 99% vs. 1% M$.

The reason I can't run Windows in a VM, is that I need to access the
serial port in it. I got some software that will access the serial port
to upload/download data between my Ham radio, and the Windows application.

I need to keep the purchase to around 500.00 mark or less.
I know this config will work with Windows, my question is does anyone
see anything here that won't work with linux.
I really don't have time to research this, so I was wondering if anyone
had any experience with this laptop or similar that would be difficult?
See below for the specs:

Jerry

I have found this:
Dell Inspiron 1525 Core 2 Duo T5750 2.0GHz 3GB 250GB DVD±RW 15.4" Vista
Home Basic (Blossom Pattern)

Part #:       BLM-DELL-1525-5-R
Warranty:       1 Year Direct
Condition:       Refurbished
Packaging:       Factory Box
Ship Weight:       10 lbs
Manufacturer:       Dell
MFG Part #:      Model #:       Inspiron 1525
Supported By:       www.dell.com

 Qualifies for $1.99 shipping when you spend over $49.99
 Use code: SAVEMONEY during checkout!
         Your Price:      $559.99
      Qty

Get Inspired and compute on the go with this Dell Inspiron 1525! The
Dell Inspiron 1525 15.4-inch widescreen notebook is packed with
essential features in a slim, compact and blossom pattern design!

This Dell Inspiron 1525 is powered by an Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 2.0 GHz
processor and 3 GB DDR2 SDRAM. There's a 250 GB hard drive that provides
ample storage space for plenty of music, games, photos, critical data
and much more! Plus, Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic comes
pre-installed.

Access CD and DVD media, backup large amounts of data, and burn CDs and
DVDs with ease with the DVD±RW drive. Connect to the Internet via the
56K modem, integrated Ethernet, or go wireless and connect via the
integrated wireless LAN.

There are plenty of I/O ports including HDMI, USB and S-Video for
connecting to a TV. Watch movies, work on spreadsheets, and browse the
Internet on the stunning 15.4-inch widescreen display. Affordable
portable computing can be yours with this Dell Inspiron 1525 15.4-inch
widescreen notebook!

By law, California shipments of this product are subject to an $8.00
Electronic Waste Recycling Fee

Features/Specifications:

   * Dell Core 2 Duo T5750 2.0 GHz 15.4-inch Widescreen Notebook

   * General Features:
   * Blossom pattern case color
   * Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic pre-installed w/COA
   * Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 2.0 GHz processor
   * 3 GB RAM
   * 250 GB  hard drive
   * DVD±RW drive
   * Integrated video
   * Integrated audio with built-in speakers
   * Modem
   * Integrated Ethernet
   * Integrated wireless LAN
   * Keyboard with TouchPad
   * 15.4-inch Widescreen Display
   * Built-in memory card reader

   * Supported Media:
   * Secure Digital (SD)
   * Memory Stick (MS)
   * Memory Stick Pro (MS PRO)
   * MultiMedia Card (MMC)
   * xD-Picture Card (xD)

   * Expansion slots:
   * One (1) ExpressCard slot

   * I/O ports:
   * Four (4) USB ports
   * One (1) HDMI port
   * One (1) S-Video/TV-Out
   * One (1) 15-pin VGA port
   * One (1) 4-pin IEEE 1394 FireWire port
   * RJ-45 Ethernet port
   * RJ-11 Modem port    * Microphone in
   * Headphone out

   * Regulatory Approvals:
   * FCC
   * UL
   * CSA
   * CE
   * MIC
   * A-Tick
   * NOM

Package Includes:

   * Dell Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz 15.4-inch Widescreen Notebook
   * Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic pre-installed w/COA
   * Power Adapter (100 - 240V 50/60 Hz)
   * Power cord
   * Li-ion battery
   * Vista Reinstallation DVD