OT wireless question

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Fri Dec 5 12:19:30 MST 2008

Craig White wrote:
> Not specifically Linux related but I am not well versed on wireless and
> I've been setting up freeradius and access points and my test laptop
> seems to be working fine but it seems a bit uneven in connection.
>
> If I run 'ping -n 200 some_ip_on_the_lan' - I got 195 pings and 5 drops
> and thus about 2% dropped pings. The signal strength reports 100%
>
> Is this normal?
>
> Craig

It depends on how you define 'normal'. ;)

Might be getting interference from other 'noise' in the area. I'd try a
different channel. You might use "iwlist scan" to see what channels are
being used by other APs in the area. Noise can come from other sources
though, such as cordless phones and microwaves.

--
-Eric 'shubes'