Website Exploits

Bob Elzer bob.elzer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 16:49:41 MST 2008

Someone is trying to see if they can use your website as a proxy.

Most likely the site that it is coming from has been compromised itself, so
reporting may or may not get a response.

In Apache you should turn off proxys so the bad guys can't hide their IP's
by using you as an in between.

But turning off proxys isn't enough, if a php application is written poorly,
they might be able to use the php code to do the proxying for them.

So most likely some BOT was scanning your system, hoping to find that poorly
built php app.

Since you are probably reading about it in an error list, then you seem to
be safe.

If you are getting more than your fair share of these attempts from the same
address, I would add their address to a blacklist in IPtables.

  _____