Directory Permissions

Mike Hoy mhoy06 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 15:11:41 MST 2008

> Yes it's chmod.  Generally directories can get 755 and be fine.  If it needs
> more than that (if the web server isn't running as the same user) then 775
> would work.

775 doesn't work for me. I just tried it. Basically what I'm doing is
uploading a CSV file filled with product information. The image name
is part of that information. The shopping cart software (X-Cart)
changes the name of the file from file_name.jpg to file_name-01.jpg so
it needs write access. I can change permissions each time I do an
upload I guess. But there has to be a better way.

>Can you create directories in the same group that your web server runs? If
>so, set them to be setgid.

I don't know what setgid means, sorry. I'll have to look it up when I
get some more time on my hands, trying to do 8 things at once here
today. Also how do I find out if I can create directories in the same
group that my web server runs?