Directory Permissions

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon Dec 1 13:57:42 MST 2008

Am 01. Dez, 2008 schwätzte Mike Hoy so:

> Thanks,
>
> First I tried chmod 775, but turns out it still needed public write so
> I gave it chmod 777 and it worked fine. Is it safe to have an image
> directory for a website 777?

No.

ls -ld dirname

That'll give you permissions for the directory.

You need write permissions on the directory in order to add files to the
directory. You need write permissions on files in order to change the
files.

Can you create directories in the same group that your web server runs? If
so, set them to be setgid.

ciao,

der.hans
#  "So the environment is not a luxury ... It is an economically important
#  insurance policy whose wisdom we ignore at our peril."
#  -- Klaus Toepfer, U.N. environment agency Executive Director