Directory Permissions

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Mon Dec 1 13:51:03 MST 2008

Using bash shells to negotiate directory structures is a matter of learning both shell (and metacharacter switches), as well as learning hierarchical file structures:

This prints the working directory:
[root at spider tiger]# pwd
/var/log/tiger

This shows the permissions inherited for the current directory:
[root at spider tmp]# ls -ald
drwxrwxrwt 32 root root 4096 2008-12-01 11:28 .
[root at spider tmp]#

This changes the permissions on the working directory to include user write permissions:
[root at spider tiger]# chmod u+w /var/log/tiger

This will show the directory structure:
[root at spider tiger]# ls -ald /var/log/tiger
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 2008-12-01 11:35 /var/log/tiger
[root at spider tiger]#

www.Obnosis.com |  http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Citations:obnosis |
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=obnosis (503)754-4452
Catch the January PLUG HackFest!   Kristy Westphal, CSO for the Arizona Department of Economic
Security will provide a one hour
presentation on forensics.