OT - Have you seen this ad?

alexanderhenry at cox.net alexanderhenry at cox.net
Fri Aug 29 09:36:28 MST 2008

Please don't do things like trade in your car for another that's $10k or $15k more just to go from 25mpg to 40mpg, it can take many years to recover the price difference in gas savings, and someone else is going to buy and burn gas in your trade-in anyway.

In the above example, there's a 15 mile per gallon savings.

1gal/15mi * $4/1gal => $0.26/mi savings

You'll need to drive almost 40k miles to get the money back for the $10k tradein.  Stop giving your paychecks to the bank!

Now if you can put in a $10k solar panel and wind combo and save $1k a year or more, that might be a worthy investment for a home.