OT - Have you seen this ad?

Eric Cope eric.cope at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 09:24:14 MST 2008

You have some interesting concepts. I also take the bus, from Maricopa to
Tempe.I agree regarding your statement about changing habits. But your
statement regarding "pooling resources" is exactly what I am talking about.
You call it pooling because it takes other peoples money and benefits you
directly. However, if the government were to steal money for other purposes,
that don't benefit you, then it would be a completely different situation.
Additionally, when you see how much money the city governments subsidize
your bus system, and now light rail system, your $/mile or $/day is very
high. Additionally, while city governments subsidize  bus systems, they also
prevent other systems from entering the market through licensing and lack of
subsidies. The end result is a very poor system that has no market forces
forcing it to be 2 of the 3, better, faster, or cheaper. For example, I
wanted to take a bus from i-10 and Elliot to ASU. The bus route would take
just over an hour. I rode my bike the seven miles in 30 minutes. Your
favored subsidies, your pooled resources, create (financially, timely, and
environmentally) extremely inefficient mechanisms, in this case a crappy,
smelly, rude, late, slow, bus system. So, no, pooling (read stealing)
resources for special interest groups is rarely a good idea, as demonstrated
by light rail systems throughout the US and our bus system as well.

On a side note, I really enjoy exchanging ideas with you Alex. Please don't
read this with a tone other than informative. Additionally, if we should
take this off the plug list, lets do that so we don't pester anyone else...

Eric