KDE 4 and Kubuntu?

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 14:53:55 MST 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 2:38 PM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 14:09 -0700, Joshua Zeidner wrote:
> >
> >  Stephen,
> >
> >    Im not knocking them personally.  I find it commendable that they
> > plainly state their return policy, which unfortunately many vendors
> > like them do not.
> >
> ----
> I didn't think 15% restock fee was out of line at all.

   If you're willing to pay for it... by all means- go right ahead.  But if
I bought a system and then I found out Skype or something else doesn't work
properly and I had to pay a 15% restocking fee, I'd be a little upset.  This
is the problem with Linux support, its notoriously unmanageable, and often
times the 'community' is driven by somewhat manic tech-heads who refuse to
conform to any idea whatsoever, let alone a technological standard.

> Obviously taking back returns without restocking fees (i.e. Fry's, Costco,
> etc.) is a marketing scheme.

   Not really sure how to parse 'marketing scheme' here, but if you mean 'a
way to sell something' - yep it sure is.  I can take it home, see how it
plays with my hardware, use it for a few weeks, and if it doesn't stick, all
money is refunded.  Hardly a 'scheme' if were using this word as some kind
of negative.  Setting up this marketing scheme requires a lot of business
development with hardware vendors, etc.

   Sorry if Im letting down the Linux revolution, but you've got to face the
reality of what the average person gets with a major distributor.
Eventually, Im sure someone will figure out how to make the Big Mac of linux
PCs, and Im also sure that 50+% of people on this list will reject it on the
basis its not 'true linux'.  -jmz

> Craig

"Never take counsel of your fears." - Andrew Jackson

- http://www.joshuazeidner.com/