KDE 4 and Kubuntu?

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Mon Aug 25 18:10:33 MST 2008

Dan Lund wrote:
> Pretty much if RHEL does it, CentOS does it, so hardware compatibility
> and service level is equal.
> Okay, so Ubuntu sounds like it was started as a desktop distribution
> geared towards eye candy.  Thanks for sharing, I appreciate it.

I would say it a little differently.  Ubuntu is designed for consumer
level users.  It's goals are to be simple to install and configure --
not something that requires a manual, but we try to keep a good one of
those too.  For instance, the Ubuntu installer doesn't ask if you want
to install development packages.  We assume that your Grandmother would
be confused by the question and you can use the application installer.

Some other Ubuntu core values are a predictable release cycle (every 6
months) and significant community participation (vs. something like RHEL).

             --Ted