upgrading ubuntu - results

David david at damnetwork.net
Sun Aug 24 14:37:19 MST 2008

On Aug 23, 2008, at 10:14 AM, Dazed_75 wrote:

> I am sure many of of would like to hear how it went especially since
> you are jumping a number of releases.  We don't often hear about those
> adventures.

As I noted earlier, I was going to do an Ubuntu 6.06 LTS -> 8.04 LTS
upgrade.   Here's how it went.

Let me start off with saying I'm a fairly new ubuntu/debian kinda
guy.   I've been RH (and derivatives)/Gentoo person my entire linux
life (about 10 years), so some of my assumptions come from that angle.

- Apparently you can't do an upgrade by booting from the cdrom.   I
couldn't find any, anyway.
- There is a 'cdromupgrade' script on the root of the cd.   This is
supposed to do all the heavy lifting for you, however...
- The cdromupgrade script doesn't work very well.   It segfaulted
about 30 sec's into the upgrade.
- It turns out that not being able to upgrade by booting the cdrom was
a good thing.   This allowed me to still have internet access
    while I did the upgrade.
- 10 minutes of googleing later, I found the problem with the
cdromupgrade script (I believe it was a problem with some unsigned
packages I   had installed) and had an alternate means of doing the
upgrade.
- I added the cdrom as an apt source and away I went.
- There were some other issues with packages not being able to be
installed because a dependancy was not configured.   Again,
    google and 'man' got my solutions (not google-ing "man", btw)
- I was prompted to install new/keep existing/diff my menu.lst file
more times than I cared for.   I ended up with the same kernel
   I was running prior to the upgrade.
- Other that the few issues with some circular dependancies via apt-
dist upgrade, the only issue I seem to have is my 2 network cards
    keep pulling a "Kerry" on me.   They keep flip-flopping between
eth1 and eth2.  (I'm still  looking into this).

All in all, I was very pleased.   All my data was kept intact (I made
backups anyway).   My Communigate server is still running just fine,
which,
btw, is *very* good for anyone with an active-sync capable cell phone
who would like push email, calendar and contacts *cough* iPhone *cough*.

So now I have an 8.04 LTS server running TwonkyMedia (the whole reason
for the upgrade in the first place) serving media to my PS3.

Thanks to all who responded,
David

"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
--Darth Vader