Reset root password without alternate boot?

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Sat Aug 23 17:37:00 MST 2008

After a long battle with technology, Ryan Rix wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 4:33 PM, Randy Melder <randymelder at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Maybe I didn't catch something, but uh...
> "So, this laptop does NOT have an optical drive NOR will it boot from
> USB."

So there's no way to boot a rescue CD, and appending "single" to the kernel
command line starts a process that asks for the root password.  Pas de
probleme, mes amis.  The magic word is "init=/bin/bash" .  Instead of
starting /sbin/init , the kernel starts bash as UID 0, which is suboptimal
but will give you enough functionality to do "passwd" and change the password
to something you can remember, *then* you reboot normally.  NOTE:  You may
have to do "mount / -n -o remount,rw" so that / will be writeable.  Also, I
haven't tried this on a system where / is on LVM.  HTH,

--
  Dilbert: Not more than ten minutes ago you beat a man senseless.
  Alice:   He was senseless before I beat him.