Reset root password without alternate boot?

Randy Melder randymelder at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 16:33:15 MST 2008

>> Any ideas how to get past this without riping the hard drive out?

Maybe I didn't catch something, but uh...

1 Boot to a Linux install CD and exit to shell
2 mount the HDD
3 edit /etc/passwd and empty the root passwd field...
4 reboot!
5. login w/root & no passwd

I see to recall doing this a couple times in the past years for clients.

randymelder at gmail.com

NOTICE: The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and
is for the use only of the intended recipient. If you are not the
intended recipient, any disclosure, copy, distribution or other use of
this information is prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error please notify us immediately by telephone and
delete or discard this message immediately.