upgrading ubuntu

David david at damnetwork.net
Fri Aug 22 06:15:05 MST 2008

Would you mind expounding on this?

Thanks,
David

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 22:26:05 -0700
  koder <hmichels01 at earthlink.net> wrote:
  I would that it were true.

  Harold

  -----Original Message-----
From: Francis Earl <francis.earl at gmail.com>
  To: Main PLUG discussion list <plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
  Subject: Re: upgrading ubuntu
  Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 19:09:49 -0700

  On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 06:44 -0700, David wrote:
> I have an ubuntu 6.06 LTS (all updates applied) server that I need to
>
> upgrade to 8.04 LTS.   I've read the upgrade instructions,
> I have the iso, I'll have the time this weekend.
>
> Other than my custom kernel, are there any other gotchas I might need
>
> to worry about when I do the upgrade?  I do plan
> on backing up config files, important data, etc prior to the upgrade.

  You actually shouldn't encounter too many issues, especially at this
  stage... Ubuntu actually takes a lot of time ensuring upgrade routes
are
  reasonably consistent. Just make sure you install all of the
  ubuntu-{minimal,standard,desktop,server} packages though to ensure
the
  process is as smooth as possible.

  You have the advantage that most possible issues have already been
  encountered and filed as bugs - then fixed. You should be fine, good
  luck!