upgrading ubuntu

Francis Earl francis.earl at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 19:09:49 MST 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 06:44 -0700, David wrote:
> I have an ubuntu 6.06 LTS (all updates applied) server that I need to
> upgrade to 8.04 LTS.   I've read the upgrade instructions,
> I have the iso, I'll have the time this weekend.
>
> Other than my custom kernel, are there any other gotchas I might need
> to worry about when I do the upgrade?  I do plan
> on backing up config files, important data, etc prior to the upgrade.

You actually shouldn't encounter too many issues, especially at this
stage... Ubuntu actually takes a lot of time ensuring upgrade routes are
reasonably consistent. Just make sure you install all of the
ubuntu-{minimal,standard,desktop,server} packages though to ensure the
process is as smooth as possible.

You have the advantage that most possible issues have already been
encountered and filed as bugs - then fixed. You should be fine, good
luck!