running a pc fan outside of a case

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Thu Aug 21 07:42:33 MST 2008

I had a similar problem with my laptop(Dell Latitude). The internal fan
kept running after an hour or so sitting on my desk. I bought a foam
wrist support for typing and put that under the back of the laptop. It
raises the back of the laptop about 5/8" off the desk. There is enough
air circulation under there now to keep the fan off. I also don't
install my battery until I need it - that open bay also allows more air
to circulate through the laptop (my assumption).

The slight incline to the keyboard makes typing more comfortable as
well! When I travel, I have a laptop backpack, and I put the foam piece
under the laptop backpack - it gives it extra cushion on the bottom of
the backpack so when I set the backpack down on a hard surface I don't
jar the laptop. The best $5 investment for may laptop!

Mark