running a pc fan outside of a case

Eric Cope eric.cope at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 13:56:52 MST 2008

The existence of little kids makes the external power supply a disaster
waiting to happen. Other than having all of those wires hanging out waiting
for your kids to pull it down, it would also require a switch to turn it on
(Google ATX spec).
Two things I would recommend are:
A ceiling fan - get more air flow around the desk
a platform to set the notebook on that has fans
http://www.buy.com/retail/usersearchresults.asp?querytype=home&qu=notebook+fan&qxt=home&display=col

Outside of that, some solder, a wall wart, and a 4-5" PC fan would make a
great air mover...
But given you lack of hardware knowledge, go with the above recommendations.

Eric