[Fwd: Rejected email connections after GMail move]

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Wed Aug 20 09:57:42 MST 2008

From: Joseph Sinclair <plug-discussion at stcaz.net>
> My bet, not knowing more about the specific setup, is that you're
> using the Cox SMTP server to send email "originating" from the
> GMail account.

> The only way I know around it is to use the GMail web interface
> for email hosted on GMail.  With the stupidity of Cox blocking
> SMTP, it's going to get progressively harder to send any email
> unless it has your @cox.com address in the from field

Bleah.  This is one reason why I have postfix running on my home
box, set up such that it's accepting mail on 25 as well as a couple
of nonstandard ports, and configured such that it won't relay any
mail unless it comes from 127.0.0.1 or it's done SMTP AUTH over
SSL.  I'm switching over to Cox soon (sigh) but I'll clone that
setup on a slicehost.  There are almost always ways around the
stupidity that some ISPs have in place.

> Unless/until Cox gets their collective heads out of their
> collective wallets, I don't see much in the way of options to
> get around that at the moment...

The "get a slicehost and run your own mailsewer on a nonstandard
port" thing certainly won't work out for everyone.  What about
port 587, they block that one too?

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows