Upgrading to Cox

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Tue Aug 19 20:08:50 MST 2008

Cox switches from coax to fiber at their neighborhood headend, the same place their television and internet switch over to fiber.  They use a HFC infrastructure, so it's fiber at some point.  How quickly it switches from coax to fiber depends on where you are and how far their fiber lines are built out for that area.
Cox, connects to QWest at peering points where everything is digital data, they never switch over to POTS in their network.  QWest line issues don't matter, since Cox never uses any QWest lines.
Cox does have a "newer" phone service "option" that is basically carrier-hosted VoIP.  It's the only option they offer in some places (like Tucson), and it's far less reliable (they plug a big box into your household power to transfer your phone lines from analog to VoIP, much the same way Vonage does, except with a bigger box and higher cost).  If that's what they're offering you, skip the phone part unless you have good cell coverage for emergencies, since if power goes out in the neighborhood, you loose your landline pretty quick.  I've heard from one of their staff that they are not going to offer the NTU-based option (what Matrix and others have described) any more because the VoIP infrastructure is "better" (by which they mean less regulated and not subject to NEBS requirements).

==Joseph++