Depressing IT Job Prospects

Charles Jones charles.jones at ciscolearning.org
Mon Aug 11 17:32:47 MST 2008

Bryan O'Neal wrote:
> ..." Even if I was, are they going to let go all of their people?  Doubt
> it.  "...
> I work/ed for a real estate company.  We went from over 50 people down
> to 4 in a bit over a year.  It is all about the boom and bust; ride the
> wave as long as you can and try to bail before you are pounded into the
> shallow reef.

We've gone from ~80 employees down to 25 in about 6 months. Also the IT
dept was scaled down from 5+ people to just me. We finally got a network
guy rehired to help me out, but I'm still working long hours with no
chance for time off.  The only point Im trying to make is, don't ever
think that they won't axe half the company, or an entire dept, as I have
seen it happen more than once.