Depressing IT Job Prospects

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Mon Aug 11 15:06:44 MST 2008

der.hans wrote:

> PHP jobs might also be in the 'fill quite easily' category.

Speaking as someone who's had to fill 'PHP Developer' vacancies a few
times, I have to disagree with this claim to a certain degree.

There is an extremely large pool of people who think of themselves as
PHP developers.  Weeding through this huge pool to find the (seemingly)
few who have the experience/ability/aptitude to work on high-traffic web
applications is quite difficult.

I attribute this to the very low barrier to entry for PHP.  That's a
great quality in the language, but it makes spotting the good developers
a bit more complex.

If you're interested in doing PHP professionally, it would serve you
well to learn the ins and outs of related technologies as well.  (Mysql,
postgres, Apache, linux, javascript, etc)  Familiarity with
architectural ideas like 'web services' is another smart area to invest
some time in.  As I write that, I realize it's definitely not specific
to PHP.  I'm currently a Ruby On Rails developer, and it's just as true
now as when I was doing PHP full-time.

alex