Depressing IT Job Prospects

Josh Coffman josh at computeristsolutions.com
Mon Aug 11 11:51:04 MST 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:30 AM, <alexanderhenry at cox.net> wrote:

> ---- Joshua Zeidner <jjzeidner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >    Hi Josh,
> >
> >    Job boards, especially free ones, are not a reliable indicator.  Many
> > people use those boards to gauge markets, which means that a lot of the
> > postings are not legitimate jobs.
>
> Agree strongly.  Lots of spam from "recruiters" who scrape the jobs
> postings from the sites with positive relationships with Intel, Honeywell,
> GD, and Orbital and repost trying to hijack a commission.
>
> >    My take on the economy: there is a major reorientation underway.
>
> blah blah blah.  Doesn't mean anything to me or Mike, who started this
> thread with a "what do I do with my life" post, personally.  I'm not
> employed by those companies you're talking about.  Even if I was, are they
> going to let go all of their people?  Doubt it.  Again, too much taking what
> the "media" is saying to heart, which are bits and pieces, taken totally out
> of context, of stuff that means something to Ben Bernanke and William
> Donaldson but nothing to me.

Yeah, you guys are right.  It is circumstantial, and not scientific.  Its my
opinion that demand has increased in the last year compared the the previous
2 or 3 years.  This is based on job ads, phone calls, and email I get.

Best advice I can give about IT, is don't do it for the money.  You won't be
happy as it is really draining and there is no guarantee the money will
always be there.  That's true about anything really, but I think its
especially true in tech.