Wine and serial programming

Dale Farnsworth dale at farnsworth.org
Mon Aug 4 13:32:34 MST 2008

Ed wrote:
> I don't have 'doze! And am not a serious linux guru. What my question is
> is the recent wine or just straight linux distro able to take a
> preloaded WINDOWS file in C-language (link to follow) and shove it down
> a serial port to 're-program' a atmel avr butterfly device? The orginal
> and again no way am I interested in programming or learning it program
> was written for w98 se to xp.
>
> I want to 'copy' which is given freely by Steve on his website, and
> shove it into the butterfly device. It is ham related. Don't seem to be
> anyone that cares enough to try it that I know that has 98se-xp. the
> atmel 'programmer file', the one that will load it is windows exclusive
> as far as I can tell.. that is what wine would have to run perfect to
> get the program transfered to the chip/device.

You don't need to bother with wine or the Windows-based Atmel program.

You need to find and install the "avrdude" program, which runs on Linux
and knows how to download data and code to AVR microcontrollers,
including the butterfly.

Debian has two binary packages for avrdude: avrdude and avrdude-doc.
I don't know if such packages exist for pclinuxos.
Worst case you may have to download
http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/avrdude/avrdude-5.5.tar.gz
and build avrdude yourself.

-Dale