Can't boot

eculbert eculbert at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 28 11:27:15 MST 2008

--- Dazed_75 <lthielster at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 10:06 PM, Trent Shipley
> <trent_shipley at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > So why did the factory installed Ubuntu 7.10 boot
> and initialize and the
> > upgraded Ubuntu 8.0x fail to initialize?
> >
> SNIPPED

> Dell distributed Ubuntu is not exactly the same as
> the main Ubuntu
> distribution.  Dell can and does add any needed
> drivers for their
> chosen hardware.  Hence the factory installed 7.10
> may have a driver
> still not used in the 8.04 mainstream release.
> Someone else would
> have to tell you how to check if that is your
> problem though.
>

> --

/////////////////////////++++++++++++++++++++

Being that I am not a cli guru, I seem to remember
somewhere there is a command that checks for
differences in file names. Could that be used to scan
or compare the two distro's and then list only the
differences and also limited to those that are found
on the installed program vs the newer program?

That way, maybe the hardware specific stuff could be
found and maybe burned to a cdrom and installed on the
new distro???

Just a possiblity ..... maybe for this problem

Also, could enough pressure be applied to Dell and
others to give a 'specific hardware driver cd' with
each purchase.

Just my thoughts.

Ed

Ed/ke7feg

Did I mention, 2/23/07 the FCC dropped all cw (AKA Morse code) testing for any class of license as a ham? Just pass the written and "U's a ham"!! Many sites test online, but you have to go for the real test. $14 for as high as you can climb in one session.