Proprietary elegance good enough? (Was: Re: OT: notebook shopping)

Mike Garfias mike at garfias.org
Thu Apr 24 21:10:55 MST 2008

On Apr 24, 2008, at 8:34 PM, Craig White wrote:

> As for the hardware...until you need repairs and then you have to
> confront a revolutionary new business model...PreferredCare.
>
> $100 extortion fee and they repair in 2/3 days. If you don't pay the
> fee, repair in 1/3 weeks. Warranty is not material to the discussion
> but
> the *good* thing is that you only have to pay the $100 extortion fee
> once each year.
>
> I honestly think that the reason Apple has customers is because the
> people who buy Apple think the only alternative is Windows.

Craig -

In my experience I've had only one Apple repair take longer than one
day, and that was when my display needed to be shipped off for a panel
replacement.  All others (and there have been a number of them) have
been completed the same day.

ProCare does get you the ability to schedule appointments farther out,
but that seems to be about all its good for.  I just make my appts on
Sunday night for early monday morning (if possible).  The store isn't
crowded, and the repair usually happens within 20 minutes.