Proprietary elegance good enough? (Was: Re: OT: notebook shopping)

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Apr 24 20:34:39 MST 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 20:28 -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
> Donn wrote:
> >
> > Thank you Austin. That was part of my point. OS X has ONE Price and One
> > version. It also has none of the typical Windows issues with Registry
> > hell, reboot after sneezing hard, corruption of basic services by
> > applications (at least typically), etc.
> >

> Who has the keys to your life?  I actively work to make sure I have the
> keys as often as possible, even if I might have to hire someone to use
> them for me.  I'd rather have that option than have some piece of my
> life locked away at a time and place I did not choose.
----
never missing an opportunity to pile on...

Apple is just another company that wants you to keep purchasing the same
thing over and over again. I would find that easier to accept if their
software didn't seem like perpetual beta quality.

As for the hardware...until you need repairs and then you have to
confront a revolutionary new business model...PreferredCare.

$100 extortion fee and they repair in 2/3 days. If you don't pay the
fee, repair in 1/3 weeks. Warranty is not material to the discussion but
the *good* thing is that you only have to pay the $100 extortion fee
once each year.

I honestly think that the reason Apple has customers is because the
people who buy Apple think the only alternative is Windows.

Craig