Xorg slow down rquires a kill

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Thu Apr 24 13:18:41 MST 2008

After a long battle with technology, Dale Farnsworth wrote:
> Michael wrote:
>> I've noticed that after about 2-3 weeks of not shutting off my computer
>> that things grind to a halt and that I need to kill Xorg.  Is there
>> anything I can do?
> Most likely it's firefox that is growing and using up memory.  You may
> be able to get by with restarting firefox, instead of restarting Xorg.

The top results:

32070 bmike1    15   0  138m  70m  22m S  6.9 18.7  71:11.74 firefox-bin
31577 root       5 -10 76000  24m 3084 S  1.7  6.5  22:06.00 Xorg
31475 root      16   0  2256  672  456 S  1.3  0.2  12:47.66 top

...it's firefox that's eating the most memory and CPU time here.  Restarting
firefox periodically would be less annoying than restarting X periodically.
And if you only have 384M, you need to have more than 0 swap.  If you don't
have a swap partition, make a swapfile of at least 512M.  This will actually
improve performance as little-used stuff will get paged out and more
frequently-used stuff can remain in RAM.

--
   Due to inflation, your 40 acres and a mule have now been reduced to
   400 square feet and a guinea pig.