OT: need some help with fuel cells

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Thu Apr 24 12:53:29 MST 2008

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, Technomage-hawke wrote:

> ok,
> I know some of you are engineering types.
>
> I am starting to look at the idea of home building a fuel cell here that can
> power my machines "off the grid" if need be. I am not worried about the fuel
> source itself (hydrogen can be easily got with some solar cells, graphic
> electrodes and starage media). What I am worried about is this:
>
> 1. Building one cheaply
> 2. available materials (preferably from lowe's or home depot) with the
> exception of the electrolytic material and possibly the catalyst materials)
> 3. a method of containment (A good quality housing that will keep the 2 parts
> of the fuel seperate until introduced into the catalyzing chamber)

Hydrogen is hard to store in the gaseous state. The extremely small
molecular size makes it possible for leaks to occur thru openings too
small to pass molecules of other gases. Any such leaks are tough to detect
until too late (i.e. kaboom!). Think exploding car batteries due to too
rapid charging causing hydrogen buildup.

I'm not trying to discourage you but be VEEEERRRRYYYY careful and do a lot
of research on handling and storing hydrogen.

Last.....put me in your will.

--
Bob Holtzman
  "The best argument against democracy is a five