OT: need some help with fuel cells

koder hmichels01 at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 24 11:00:35 MST 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 10:47 -0700, Technomage-hawke wrote:
> On Thursday 24 April 2008, Stephen P Rufle wrote:
> > I remember reading about this guy in Wired magazine.
> > http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/15.03/play.html?pg=9
> > http://www.siei.org/mainpage.html
> >
> > The cost of his system seem a bit high, but maybe it would be a good
> > place to start for the feasibility of different ideas.
> >
> read that one. and no, I don't have $50,000 to spend. I was hoping for
> something more along the lines of $1,000 or less.

Recreational vehicles and yachts use solar panels to power some decently
sized storage batteries. If you put up enough of them you can run a
computer system.

Naturally the length of time the system will run is  a function of the
size of your power source compared to your computer setup.

Unfortunately the cost of solar is escalating. My original system cost
under a thousand dollars. Today it would probably be twice that.

Of course when I build the next one I will ask it to do more with the
additional expense.

My wish list consists of more panels, bigger batteries, and a wind
powered generator for cloudy days.

There are a number of sites in the net dealing with the topic of solar
direct to batteries. They are far from complete. You will have to
supplement with written material.

This is some different from the fuel cell systems you asked about, but
the fuel cells are using battery and solar and adding in the
inefficiency of the hydrogen. The hydrogen is great for energy
containment and transportation such as powering your car, but the
equipment is a bit pricey.

Cost will be directly related to how much electric you intend to use and
store. You can start with part of it and expand as budget, knowledge and
goals expand.

If you want to go further let me know. There are several people in the
area working on this.

Harold