Ubuntu boot screen

Trent Shipley tshipley at deru.com
Mon Apr 21 19:47:48 MST 2008

Dell loaded Ubuntu 7.10 on my new system.  One problem that it's had since I
got it is that it seems to hang on boot.  I can't really tell if it is
hanging.  The thing only displays a progress bar in its normal boot sequence.
The progress bar fails to progress. I get impatient and hit ctrl-alt-del.

When it comes time to load the operating system the second time I opt to do a
recovery boot.  The system boots to runlevel 2, prints the bootlog to
standard output.  I watch the text scroll by.  It stops for root to log on.
I log on and exit.  It launches X and waits for me to log in.

How can I get the normal boot sequence to display the boot log to STDOUT
instead of the fancy-yet-useless progress bar?