OT: notebook shopping

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Sun Apr 20 20:42:16 MST 2008

Am 20. Apr, 2008 schwätzte Cat Chapman so:

> I'm using a system76 laptop to post this. They make Linux lappies, and
> so far I've had nothing but great things with this machine.
> Check them out at http://system76.com

By going with sytem76 or something else purchased with GNU/Linux we can
get support for GNU/Linux.

At this point I do not intend to buy any computers that don't come with
GNU/Linux pre-installed and supported.

I almost had to seriously consider getting a new laptop a couple of weeks
ago, so this is a current topic for me. I still needed the new workstation
and didn't consider anything that didn't come with GNU/Linux
pre-installed.

I  will play with Foresight when my KPC comes in,
http://us.shuttle.com/Home.aspx, but I will shrink it down as a reserve
with Ubuntu as my primary OS :). Shuttle is advertising compiz with the
intel graphics chip. I expect good support. Maybe I'll run Foresight in a
VM.

I want the computer manufacturers to push the hardware industry for
specs and Free Software drivers. That isn't going to happen if we
don't intentionally and specifically purchase something with GNU/Linux
pre-installed.

I would expect good support for suspend and all of the hardware for a
laptop with GNU/Linux pre-installed. I likely wouldn't care about the
modem, so I won't guarantee that I'd test every single component :).

The $700 system76 system comes with an intel graphics chip, so it should
have good X support since intel has been providing us with specs for a
while.

It's also got a dual-core CPU, so virtual machines should have lots of
resources available.

4 GB of RAM should be plenty. Well, for now anyway :). It's double what I
could get on the desktop.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/        https://LOPSA.org/
#  "I guess I should've agreed with my boss more often. Today I was replaced