Possible Accounting Software Solution

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 19:16:12 MST 2008

Hi Keith,

  Before you give Quickbooks a hug, you should be aware that Intuit
has been playing the format game for some time and I would apply a
high level of scrutiny before you make any major decisions.  There was
the OFX issue, which was an open standard (funded in part by M$
actually), that Intuit claimed to support, but in the end changed
their claim to QFX support (is that an 'O' or a 'Q'? :) ).  I know
several people at Intuit and I believe they are sinking their
resources into a SaaS strategy for the future, and I imagine that this
will alienate a certain class of users.  Keep in mind the free
software (as in beer) you're getting from Intuit is designed to get
you on board with their payed products.  Gnucash is a bit more of an
investment but offers a lot more control in the long run.

  I would be interested to know what Simple Start does that GnuCash
doesnt.  Gnucash does support OFX.  In QB's defense there are a lot of
nice functions and reports you get for a reasonable price.  It is
dominant standard on this axis.  If Intuit was a bit more forthright
in thier claims to standards support I would probably use it.

 -jmz

 - http://www.joshuazeidner.com/