How to make a FREE Linux E-book download?

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Sat Apr 19 07:53:35 MST 2008

.
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:06:00 -0700, Jon M. Hanson wrote
> On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 11:02:30AM -0700, Josef Lowder wrote:
> > .
> > How can I make a FREE Linux How-to PDF E-book available
> > for download (to both Windows and Linux users) so that
> > when someone clicks on a download button on an html
> > web page, a PDF file would download (to either type
> > of computer) with a progress bars showing the download
> > status/progress and the result would be an icon on the
> > desktop that one could click-on to open the PDF E-book?
>
> What you're asking to do is more dependant on how people have their web
> browsers configured. A web server can't tell a client where to save
> files and whether or not to display a progress bar.

Many times, I have downloaded something and seen it "install"
an icon on my desktop, both on my several different Linux systems
and on my wife's (and other acquaintances') Windows computers.

So how is that done?

Surely there are ways to make this work.