Migration

Kurt Granroth kurt+plug-discuss at granroth.com
Wed Apr 9 21:26:02 MST 2008

Trent Shipley wrote:
> I'd like to migrate to a cheap new box (or laptop) and switch to a new distro,
> probably Ubuntu.  I am also a KDE user and I'm seriously thinking about
> switching to Gnome.  (How much market share does KDE have?)  The main problem
> I forsee is that all my e-mail is in Kmail, and I'm not sure what would be
> involved in migrating to another mail client.  I've heard nice things about
> Pegasus Mail.

By all means, check out another distro.  Try as many as you can... each
has their own quirks and foibles and it's only by trying that you will
learn which one fits your needs the best.  Ubuntu is a great choice if
you want a massive community to help you when you run into trouble (and
you will... lots.  Ubuntu has a looooong way to go to catch up with SUSE
in terms of ease of configuration).  Fedora might be another good one to
try.  Gobo Linux is a great one if you really want to get down and dirty.

As far as the whole KDE and Gnome thing goes, though... you need to
straighten out the differences between desktop shells and development
frameworks.  KMail is an application built on the KDE framework.  It
doesn't depend on working in the KDE desktop shell at all.  You can run
it with a Gnome, XFCE, or RatPoison desktop... or even bare X11 with no
window manager at all if you'd like.

One final thing: Are you sure that people are talking about Pegasus
Mail?  That's an old DOS/Windows donationware app from way back.  I
suppose you might be able to run it via Wine, but I'm not sure why you'd
want to.  There are scads of really nice native email clients for Linux.
  Try Thunderbird, if you want an alternative to KMail.  IMO, those are
the two most well-rounded MUAs on Linux.

Kurt