Migration

Michael Sammartano volinaz at cox.net
Tue Apr 8 21:48:24 MST 2008

Trent,

Why change?? Very little has actually changed from the pre-Novell days in regards to 10.2. If I am not mistaken 10.0 was the first release from Novell/SuSE, but it may have been 9.x. I Have been using SuSE and openSuSE exclusively and have no issues what so ever, not 1!! I have gone so far as to install it on a gPC I bought from Wal Mart last year and it works great, I thought I would have had some problems with the chipsets, modules, or even the cpu ( it's a Via something or other), and the install was flawless (openSuSE 10.3). The menu changed in 10.3, but everything else is identical, if you choose to not install any AppArmor or Novell software. I have that box setup as a fully functioning mail and webserver with only 1GB RAM and a 300GB SATA hdd. If you like 10.2 so much, reinstall it. In my opinion, if you are used to doing things in the SuSE KDE environment, you will NOT like Gnome, nor Ubuntu. I have tried them all, and will no longer move from openSuSE.

This is just an opinion!!

Michael
---- Trent Shipley <tshipley at deru.com> wrote:
> I am currently using OpenSuSE 10.2 on a machine that I built in 2000.  The
> machine has broken a couple of times, so there have been upgrades.
> Nevertheless, it labors running 10.2.  I haven't been disappointed with SuSE,
> but it's not the same under Novel.
>
> I'd like to migrate to a cheap new box (or laptop) and switch to a new distro,
> probably Ubuntu.  I am also a KDE user and I'm seriously thinking about
> switching to Gnome.  (How much market share does KDE have?)  The main problem
> I forsee is that all my e-mail is in Kmail, and I'm not sure what would be
> involved in migrating to another mail client.  I've heard nice things about
> Pegasus Mail.

Please visit
http://www.iconnetworksolutions.com