Burn Movies to CD

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Sat Apr 5 10:37:30 MST 2008

After a long battle with technology, Josh Nalli wrote:
> What can I use to burn movies to CDs?  I have something called k3b but it
> only supports [MPEG], it says.  Is there another program i can use for avi?

Your question is unclear.  Do you mean "I want to create a VCD or SVCD from
arbitrary movie files"?  If so, you *have* to get the movie into MPEG-1 or
MPEG-2 format, since VCDs use MPEG-1 at a specific size and SVCDs use MPEG-2
at a specific size.  This means re-encoding and probably resizing the entire
movie.  While you can do that with transcode, transcode has more options than
mkisofs and is a complete pain.  mencoder may be easier to use, but it's been
a while since I tried to re-encode anything.

If you don't want to burn VCDs or SVCDs, explain what it is that you want, and
be specific.

Michael March wrote:
> K9copy is great.

I thought that was for re-encoding MPEG-2 streams from dual-layer DVDs into
more compressed MPEG-2 streams that would fit on a single-layer DVD+R.  Also,
all versions of k9copy are masked in Gentoo, so it may not be entirely
stable.

--
   "Dreams?  Best leave dreams to those that can afford them."
   --Aunt Cordelia, _Wizard and Glass_, Stephen King