sed help

Kevin Faulkner kondor6c at cox.net
Wed Apr 2 09:32:11 MST 2008

First off, I've been trying to do this for a little while, but keep on getting
dragged off to other things. My goal is to get sed to pull off the .xxx of the
file. So lets say you have documentation.odt timesheet.ods archive.zip and
readme.txt I would like sed to pull off these: ods zip odt txt. I figured I
would do it like this
ls -l |awk '{print $8}'|sed -e '/$\.+++/p
ls -l |awk '{print $8}'|sed -e '/^\.+++/p
(I also used ? in place of the +)
I have also tried this.
ls -l |awk '{print $8}'|grep -e "*\.[a-z]

I'm not sure if I just don't understand sed, or if its a problem with regular
expressions, but either way, I can't get it work. Even * should work as it is any character. A little guidance would be nice. Thanks folks.