Mac OS/X and Linux

Chris Gehlker canyonrat at mac.com
Wed Sep 26 08:21:13 MST 2007

On Sep 26, 2007, at 7:41 AM, Lynn Newton wrote:

> Yes, but it's a bit tricky the first time through it.
> I can't comment specifically about Samba because I've
> never done it myself, but I'm sure it works.

But he wants the Macs to be *clients* and the Linux box to server the
Samba share, right? In this case he doesn't need to do anything.

> Mac OS X doesn't make use of /etc/fstab.
>
> There's a shareware app called NFS Manager that leads you
> through the stuff you need to do to export NFS file systems
> or to mount them from other systems. Like most sysadmin
> oriented graphical apps, this is just a front end for
> doing whatever an appropriately informed sysadmin would
> do by hand. But that's also its advantage. It's quick
> and easy.

When I had to use a Mac as a server I just enabled Samba from the GUI
with System Preferences->Sharing and then the Windows Sharing box.
Then I used SWAT to edit the  samba config file. This worked fine.

I found all the Samba docs  in /usr/share/swat.
--
Seven Deadly Sins? I thought it was a to-do list!