Sendmail authentication configuration?

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Mon Sep 24 10:24:29 MST 2007

Craig White wrote:
>> 1. I have found various documentation of how to configure my Sendmail
>> server to *listen* on a port other than 25 but not where I can tell it
>> to *send* on a different port.  Where do I configure it to relay to a
>> port other than 25?
> ----
> presuming that you are talking about using smtp on a cox based dhcp
> provisioned net where they block port 25, it's just so much easier to
> simply use smarthost and relay outbound mail via the cox smtp servers.

Close but not quite.  Blocking a port is not the real problem.  Let me
be more explicit.

- My server must send outbound email via SMTP.
- The mail server that my server must connect to is *not* listening on
port 25.  It is listening on some other high port, hypothetically 34380
for example.
- The mail server that my server must connect to requires that my server
authenticate with a user name and password.

So I need to tell my sendmail to:
- Use port 34380 for outbound SMTP
- Use a specific user name and password to authenticate to the server

The 'SMART_HOST' setting is appropriate, I think, but I don't see either
how to use a specific port or how to specify a user ID and password.

> I really like Brennan's Home Server guide for help here (though I don't
> use sendmail any longer)
>
> http://www.brennan.id.au/12-Sendmail_Server.html#encryption

This looks like a good resource, thanks.  I'll keep reading it but I
don't yet see the answers to my questions above.

> but this is for Fedora/Red Hat systems so YMMV

The server on my end, the one that I am configuring to send email, is a
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 installation.

Alan