dkms

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Sep 24 08:18:50 MST 2007

Since I mentioned it the other day, I thought that I would follow up
with some more information on dkms that was pushed through Saturday on
the dell linux-poweredge mail list...

Coming soon: automatic Linux driver upgrades
Sep. 22,
2007
by Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols

Linux users want two things for their hardware: drivers; and easy
access to those drivers. The first is finally happening; and now,
thanks to a Dell Linux project called DKMS (Dynamic Kernel Module
Support), the other is on its way.

Dell and Linux distributors have been working on DKMS for about five
years now. Its purpose is to create a framework where kernel-dependent
module source can reside, so that it is very easy to rebuild
modules. In turn, this enables Linux distributors and driver
developers to create driver drops without having to wait for new
kernel releases. For users, all this makes it easier to get
up-to-the-minute drivers without hand compiling device drivers.

(and more - see the link above for the full article, and you can digg it
here:
 http://digg.com/linux_unix/Coming_soon_automatic_Linux_driver_upgrades )

Thanks,
Matt