CentOS and LVM partitions

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Fri Sep 21 16:06:16 MST 2007

Am 21. Sep, 2007 schwätzte Rudolfo Munguia so:

> I can see your point when using fdisk -l to troubleshoot issues. Typically
> though, I haven't  had to go past the /boot partition when diagnosing these
> types of issues.

Ah, well it's nice to look at /etc/ and double-check where root is.

> As for the question regarding the tools for LVM, check tldp.org, there is a
> very concise write up with multiple FAQ's linked.

Yeah, I've been through a bunch of LVM documentation.

> LVM is an important step towards insuring the resiliency of a Linux
> installation. And it allows for nearly unlimited growth of the underlying
> Filesystems. It is also incredibly handy when dealing with Cluster
> Filesystems. It has been available for several years, and it will not be
> going away simply because it presents more benefits than problems.

I agree. I'm moving everything over to LVM. I just hadn't realized that
there are LVM partitions. Maybe I had, but not really understood what it
means.

I was allowing the LVM partitions from the CentOS installer until I was
trying to figure out why the boot kernel couldn't see the root filesystem.

One of the disadvantages of using debian and Ubuntu is that one loses
sight of the current practices for doing installs :). Install once,
upgrade forever...

ciao,

der.hans
#  HERE LIES LESTER MOORE